Note 1: this post is applicable to Malaysian only.
Note 2: online renew only applicable to Malaysian that already have a passport. If you never have a Malaysian passport before, you still have to go to the office.
Note 3 (May 16, 2013): for application over the counter, Immigration Department has issued a new regulation for the photo, however the online application website didn't update the photo requirement, please contact Immigration Department before you want to apply through online. The document:
Wow, this is one of the things that I tried before my physical friends (all my FB friends are real person, ahem). I have been asking around at office these few days, no one actually have renew their Malaysian Passport online before. Most of them still go through the counters and only a few of them used the kiosk at the Immigration Office for renewing their Malaysian Passport. Therefore I want to share my experience on renewing Malaysian Passport online.
Here are the steps:
- Go to the official Immigration Department of Malaysia website
Scroll down to the column on right hand side to look for "Application for Renewal of Passport (MyOnline Passport), click on it which will bring up a new tab/windows (browser/windows settings dependent).Since the website has been updated, ignore the first picture, focus on 2nd and 3rd pictures. On the menu right below the title, move your mouse over "ONLINE SERVICE" or "PERKHIDMATAN ATAS TALIAN", click on "MyOnline Passport".
- The first page of the website listed out all the expectations and requirements, such as:
- Online payment only available for credit card. Direct Debit facilities (FPX) is not available at the moment) [As of Apr 2012]
- Passport photo requirements (bg colors, dimension, etc)
- Other terms and conditions (fee, etc)
- Passport that not going to be expire soon (few months) will not show up
- Passport that already being renewed (old one being void by the department) will not show up as well
- choose if you want to renew for 2 years (RM100) or 5 years (RM300)
- at which branch you want to pick up the new passport (you are not allow to change once the application being process, so be careful)
- According to snapshot above, I can pick up the new passport at exact 2 hours after the payment go through.
- I am the 5th person to renew online and selected to pick up new passport at Georgetown branch. Looks like online renew is getting more popularity. :-)
- Take your queue number from information counter
- Put your old passport and receipt at that passport collection counter
- Wait for the officer to call your number after:
- find your new passport
- void your old passport
- Sign on the new passport and you are done, new passport is in your hand (as well as the old passport which has been cut to void it)
That's it, my experience with Renew Malaysian Passport Online. Hope this post can help you to go through the process of renewing your Malaysian Passport.
Update: 20/2/2013 - Jabatan Imigresen's website has been updated, I am putting new pictures on where to access the online renew system.
Update: 25/2/2013 - I helped my father to renew his passport on Sunday (24/2/2013) and fetch him to the Pulau Pinang (Seberang Jaya) branch to pick his new passport. We waited for less than hour before he could get his new passport. Probably it was Monday, too many people went to apply or renew passport. However I am happy that my father is now convinced that online renew passport is very convenient. :)
He also recommended my mother to do online renew next time before her passport expire. :)
Like this if you are FB user and you think this post is useful. The button is at top right of content of this post. +1 this post if you are Google+ users and you think this post is useful. Hope you will enjoy this post, subscribe to my RSS or mailing list or follow me on blogger or twitter. :)
source: This is my personal experience!